Anna’s team should embrace Dr JayaPrakash Narayan’s Lok Satta political party
Anna team’s intention to start a political party is based on extremely noble intentions and everybody is wishing that they can come and change the rules of the game of politics and winning elections. As of today, Anna’s team is a group of extremely honest people who just talk straight from the heart and talk common sense. But running a national political party and winning elections is an extremely complicated task. It is difficult even for an ideal party with all honest people as no two (even honest) people will agree on everything and India is a huge diverse country and at times, with contradictions.
A political party needs to have
- a manifesto which talks about their views on important sectors and issues of the nations
- an organizational structure which scale to a national level while being open and democratic internally
- charismatic leaders who can capture the imagination of people and motivate them
- a mechanism of raising and spending funds in a transparent way
- people with intricate knowledge of the people and bureaucratic systems and experience in dealing with issues of country
In this context, one should seriously consider the Lok Satta party founded by Dr JayaPrakash Narayan. Dr JP is an extremely honest politician, IAS (top 10 in batch of 1980), former secretary to CM, had a major role in RTI, electoral reforms and a trained doctor! He started a political party after initially trying to bring about a change from the outside with his Lok Satta NGO.
Dr JP always insisted that he is building a political platform for all honest and well intentioned people to come and bring about a change in the country. Some of the salient points about Lok Satta Party is
- Have a manifesto and a published their views/white paprts on all major issues on the country including health reforms, electoral reforms, nuclear energy, farmers issues etc.
- Have strong internal democracy
- Have an organizational based in 4+ states with a relatively strong base in Andhra Pradesh (where Dr JP is an MLA from Kukatpally constituency)
- They place nation above party and party above individuals
- Never indulge in caste or religion based politics
Given that Lok Satta has already bootstrapped the first level of a honest political party and a sound political platform, I think team Anna’s team should embrace join and expand Lok Satta. This will bring about the power of synergies between these two honest groups and will propel them in the political space quickly and give the required solid footing.
Wishing Anna’s Team and Lok Satta success in their efforts
ps: I support Anna’s team in their demand for Jan LokPal and also support Dr JP and the Lok Satta political party for the honest political party that he founded.